GUEST POST – Written by the High Heel Whore
How To Get The Look For Less: Fall Shoe Trends
It’s a new season, which means it’s time for a new budget. Rent, tuition, groceries, car payments, cell phone…the list goes on and on. You’re dying for a new pair of shoes but it just doesn’t look like it’s in your budget.
Lucky for you ladies, I’ve got a cheap and easy solution for getting a few of this season’s best trends for less. How? A simple DIY, of course!
To make this a successful DIY project, you’re going to need to know what’s trending. A few of my favourites are color-blocked heels and metallic-inspired flats.
So let’s get our Picasso on for these peep toes!
For a perfect color-blocked look all you will need is 3 materials. Yep, just three! Sounds easy already, doesn’t it?!
Just grab yourself:
- Clear Primer adhesive
- The oil-based paint and color of your choice
- Masking tape
Then all you have to do is follow these simple steps:
1. Start by cleaning off your shoes. Just like applying make-up to your face, a clean and clear surface is always best!
2. To avoid mistakes, mark off where you want to paint with the masking tape.
3. Spray clear primer over the region you want to paint and then sit back, relax and wait for it to dry. You’ll need at least an hour, but touch test it before you get to painting.
4. Now it’s time to paint! Be sure that your color coat isn’t leaking under the masking tape and apply up to 3 coats, depending on how rich you want the color to be.
5. Time to put those newly painted shoes to rest. Give them all night to dry and cure. Carefully remove the masking tape and Ta-Da! You’ve got yourself one fashionably trendy new shoe!
Not sure where to use color blocking? Try painting just the heel, or if your shoe has a platform, co-ordinate the platform and heel but leave the upper its original color.
Ultimately, this is your opportunity to get fun and flirty. So be as creative as you like!
If color-blocking ain’t really your thang (though, I can’t imagine why) how about a little metallic inspiration instead?
All you need to make this work is a trusty can of spray paint, a pair of shoes and some newspaper! Then just follow these quick and easy steps:
1. Set up your area with newspapers to avoid spray painting the whole room.
2. Give your shoes a thorough cleaning and allow a few hours to let them dry
3. After your shoes are dry, cover the soles with tissue and spray away
4. Give at least one full night to dry and then bust those bad boys out!
Just a hot tip ladies, metallic-inspired loafers are HUGE this season so perhaps paint a pair of those and leave the color-blocking for your heels!
Whichever trend you choose to rock, you are sure to stay on trend this Fall while saving some of that hard-earned money. And the best part? No one will ever know you didn’t fork out hundreds of dollars for those hot new shoes you’re strutting in.
It’s a DIY’in win-win!
Written by Jill C from the High Heel Whore
Jill is a shoe bloggin’ babe who writes about, what else, SHOES! From reviewing different styles of shoes, such as Michael Kors MK City Flat – Is This Flat That Phat? to providing her readers with handy DIY tips and tricks, her blog is an one-stop-shop for all things shoes!