Tips for Organizing your Wardrobe/Shoe Closet like a Gossip Girl
Organizing a closet involves a little bit of imagination to picture the end result and a maybe a Rocky Balboa pre stretching routine to begin the battle. I have been researching techniques to get myself more organized to no avail. As a delve further into this chaotic nightmare, I realize I am not riding on the train of chaos alone.
As you know the internet is a wealth of knowledge that certainly at times beats leaving your house to research. While researching on the internet, I came across a few points that I may incorporate to assist me with my closet drama. I found an article on US Weekly to be quite helpful. The article described Kaylee DeFer’s (from Gossip Girls) closet over haul that’s pictured below. Her closet is an organization system from the Container Store and it cost $2,000. The Container Store offers a wide array of options for your closet organization based on your needs. Their systems start at about $450.
I love the functionality aspect of Kaylee’s closet but for me my shoes dictate my outfit, so I want a whole section dedicated to you guessed it nothing but shoes! In Kaylee’s makeover they used pull out shelves which I love and the extra benefit is two pair of shoes can fit on one shelf. I have researched several aspects of organizing a closet and here are a few tips that I learned:
1) Eliminate everything that you haven’t worn or don’t plan on wearing. Donate it to a local charity.
2) Invest in some hangers so that your hangers are uniform. Most organizers recommend padded, wood or plastic hangers…(Meaning get rid of the cheap hangers that the cleaners send your clothes back on). Check Target and Walmart for reasonably priced hangers.
3) Chose a closet system that works with your needs and your budget. Some organizers recommend the wire closet systems due to their flexibility to change as your needs change as opposed to the built-in systems. For wire closet systems check the Container Store, Lowes, or some other similar store.
4) Once the system closet organizer system is installed, organize your clothing. You should organize by seasons and by characteristics such as long shelves as compared to short sleeves, pants, dresses, skirts etc. All similar items should be grouped together. The items you wear the most should be at eye level.
5) Beautify. Buy some decorative storage boxes to beautify the closet which serves a dual purpose. The practical purpose is to store seasonal items or things that aren’t used regularly in the decorative boxes. Also make sure that you have ample lighting and a mirror in the closet, as well.
I have condensed the tips that I’ve learned to give you a general idea that although the celebrity closets that I feature are great ,WE can still have a great closet without being a celebrity. I want my closet to display my shoes so when I walk in my shoes rise to greet me as Nate Berkus says referring to your house. RISE UP and GREET me shoes….I love it!
Here’s a few sites to help you also.
Photo Credit: Perry Hagopian